Art Show Prospectus
- Cash Awards: $42,000.00 available in cash awards.
- 1st place overall as determined by public vote $15,000; Artwork becomes the property of the Magic Valley Arts Council
- 2nd place overall as determined by public vote $3,000
- 3rd place overall as determined by public vote $2,000
- 4th place overall as determined by public vote $1,500
- Determined by public vote, $1,000 “Best of Show” award in each of the FOURTEEN (14) categories.
- Show: The show runs from April 15-30, 2016. All entries MUST remain on display until May 6, 2016. The Awards Ceremony will be May 7, 2016 at 6 pm at the Twin Falls Center for the Arts.
- Artists: Submit images of work or proposed work and pay entry fee. Artist’s Statement and jpg image of work due by January 22, 2016. Registration begins November 19, 2015 through January 22, 2016. Magic Valley Arts Council (MVAC) Members cost is $25, Non-MVAC members fee is $55. It is only $25 for an Artist Membership with the MVAC. Entry fees increase January 23 – February 29, 2016 to $50 for MVAC Members and $75 for Non-MVAC Members. No entries will be accepted after February 29, 2016. Artists are required to have both a Sponsor and a Venue to be officially entered into the contest. Artists are not required to obtain their own sponsor and venue but may if they choose (for more information on sponsors & venues see the FAQ section). Sponsors & Venues need to be secured for the artist by March 1, 2016.
- Professionally Judged Competition: The Professionally Judged Competition may be entered when an artist has entered the general competition. An extra $50 registration fee applies and can be paid along with your initial registration or anytime up until March 1, 2016. Prize money in this competition will be $3,000. The judges will determine the winners of two-dimensional and three-dimensional categories. First place in each category will receive $1,500 in prize money. Artists who win in the Professionally Judged Competition may also qualify for prize money in the overall general competition.
- Youth Category: There will be a separate youth category for students in elementary (K-5th grade), middle school (grades 6-8), and high school (grades 9-12). The entry fee for the youth portion of the contest is $10. Those artists selecting the “youth” category on their entry form will not be eligible for the general contest. There will be a $300 prize awarded to the top artist in each of the three youth categories (elementary, middle school, high school) as selected by public vote.
- Sponsors: Individuals or businesses serving as sponsors must chose work/artists they wish to sponsor by March 1, 2016. Artwork may be viewed on the homepage. For more information on being a sponsor or obtaining a sponsor, see FAQ section.
- Venues: Locations for showing artwork select the work they wish to display from artist entries by March 1, 2016. Prize money is awarded to Venues as well. The public votes to determine the “Best Venue” and recipient of $500. The Venue displaying the Grand Prize-1st place contest winner will receive $500, the venue displaying the 2nd place overall contest winner will receive $300, the venue displaying the 3rd place overall contest winner will receive $200, and the venue displaying the 4th place overall contest winner will receive $100. For more information on being a Venue or selecting a Venue see FAQ section.
- Voters: The viewing public votes for their thirteen (13) favorite entries, the top 17 artists receive cash prizes from the total prize money available. For more information on how to vote, see voting section.
- Categories: A $1,000 “Best of Show” award given to the artist receiving the most votes in each of 14 categories: Ceramic, Drawing, Fiber, Glass, Jewelry, Mixed Media, Painting: Acrylic, Painting: Oil, Painting: Watercolor, Photography, Sculpture: Large (over 3 ft), Sculpture: Small (3 ft and under), Woodwork and Uncategorized (for entries that do not fall neatly into another category. Entry here may help us develop additional categories in the future.). Odds of winning are based on the number of entrants in each category. The four artists receiving the most votes and receiving the top contest prize money, Grand Prize through 4th Place, are not eligible to receive a “Best of Show” award.
Art & Soul is open to any artist with any type of artwork. Eligibility confirmed after receipt of entry fee and obtaining a sponsor and venue (for more information on obtaining a sponsor and venue, see FAQ section).
Sponsors and Venues need to be registered by March 1, 2016 and need to select their artist by March 7, 2016. Applications will not be accepted after March 1, 2016. Each artist entry will be posted on this web page; Sponsors and Venues will review entries and select their artist.
Artists need not be present during the show, but it is encouraged. Artists and venues work out logistics of getting artwork in place by April 9, 2016.
Where will the money come from?
Artists $25 – $125
Sponsors $100 – $175
Venue (location) $100 – $175
Financial Supports include:
Patrons who offer gifts of $1,000.00 or more;
Contributors who offer gifts of $100.00- $999.00;
Friends of the Arts offer gifts of any size under $100.00.