Brought to you by the Magic Valley Arts Council, registration will be underway soon for the 8th annual Art & Soul of the Magic Valley. Contest dates are April 13-28, 2018.
Art & Soul of the Magic Valley, a unique community-wide art contest, is a community-wide, public-voting art contest that awards the largest financial prize in the Northwest. In 2017 over 250 artists competed for prize money.
Click this link for 2018 Artist Registration Form
Art Show Prospectus
Cash Awards: $43,000.00 available in cash awards.
- 1st place overall as determined by public vote $15,000
- 2nd place overall as determined by public vote $5,000
- 3rd place overall as determined by public vote $2,500
- 4th place overall as determined by public vote $1,500
- Determined by public vote, $1,000 “Best of Show” award in each of the FOURTEEN (14) categories.
- Show: The show runs from April 13-28, 2018. All entries MUST remain on display until May 5, 2018. The Awards Ceremony will be May 5, 2018 at 5 pm at The Orpheum Theater.
- Artists: Submit an application, images of work or proposed work and pay an entry fee. This is NOT a juried contest but all artists MUST have both a Sponsor and a Venue in order to compete. Artists who enter with a Sponsor are guaranteed a Venue if an entry image is received by the due date. Sponsors are not guaranteed. **Discounted Registration runs through January 31, 2018. Magic Valley Arts Council (MVAC) Members cost is $25 (it is only $25 for an Artist Membership with the MVAC), Non-MVAC members fee is $60. Artists are required to have both a Sponsor and a Venue to be officially entered into the contest. Artists are encouraged to find a Venue for the entry. Making new acquaintances and building relationships is part of the community building experience of the contest. However, the Magic Valley Arts Council’s Art & Soul Organizing Committee recognizes that this may not be possible for every artist, so we guarantee a Venue will be secured for every artist entering the contest with a Sponsor, provided an entry image is received by the due date. An artist who opts to enter the contest without a Sponsor is at risk of being disqualified from the contest as the committee does not guarantee that Sponsors will be secured. Sponsors & Venues need to be secured for the artist no later than March 2, 2018. Final date for submission of art entry jpg image is March 16, 2018. This is the image that will be included in the Limited Edition Souvenir Program and posted on the website for voters and judges to review.
- LATE REGISTRATION: Entry fees increase February 1-7, 2018 to $45 for MVAC Members and $80 for Non-MVAC Members. No entries will be accepted after February 7, 2018. Artist’s Statement (70 words or less) and (preliminary) jpg image of work is due by February 7, 2018. This information is necessary for Venues to make their artist(s) selections. The Art & Soul Organizing committee guarantees a Venue only if an entry image is received by the due date.
- Top Prizes: The four artists receiving the most votes overall will receive the top contest prize money. Grand Prize through 4th Place, are not eligible to receive a “Best of Show” award.
- Professionally Judged Competition: The Professionally Judged Competition may be entered when an artist has entered the general competition. An extra $50 registration fee applies and can be paid along with your initial registration or anytime up until March 16, 2018. Prize money in this competition will be $3,000. The judges will determine the winners of two-dimensional and three-dimensional categories. First place in each category will receive $1,500 in prize money. Artists who win in the Professionally Judged Competition may also qualify for prize money in the overall general competition.
- Youth Category: There will be a separate youth category for students in elementary (K-5th grade), middle school (grades 6-8), and high school (grades 9-12). The entry fee for the youth portion of the contest is $10. Those artists selecting the “youth” category on their entry form will not be eligible for the general contest. 1st place: $300, 2nd place: $75, 3rd place: $25 will be awarded in each of the three youth categories (elementary, middle school, high school) as selected by public vote.
- Sponsors: Individuals or businesses serving as sponsors must chose work/artists they wish to sponsor by March 2, 2018. Artwork may be viewed on the homepage. For more information on being a sponsor or obtaining a sponsor, see FAQ section.
- Venues: Locations for showing artwork select the work they wish to display from artist entries by March 2, 2018. Prize money is awarded to Venues as well. The public votes to determine the “People’s Choice Venue” and recipient of $150 in two venue categories: Venues displaying 1-3 artists and Venues displaying 3+ artists. The Venue displaying the Grand Prize-1st place contest winner will receive $300, the venue displaying the 2nd place overall contest winner will receive $200, the venue displaying the 3rd place overall contest winner will receive $100. For more information on being a Venue or selecting a Venue see FAQ section.
- Voters: The viewing public votes for their fourteen (14) favorite entries, the top 18 artists receive cash prizes from the total prize money available. For more information on how to vote, see voting section.
- Categories: A $1,000 “Best of Show” award given to the artist receiving the most votes in each of 14 categories: Ceramic, Drawing, Fiber, Glass, Jewelry, Mixed Media, Painting: Acrylic, Painting: Oil, Painting: Watercolor, Photography, Sculpture: Large (over 3 ft), Sculpture: Small (3 ft and under), Woodwork and Uncategorized (for entries that do not fall neatly into another category. Entry here may help us develop additional categories in the future). Odds of winning are based on the number of entrants in each category. Grand Prize through 4th Place, are not eligible to receive a “Best of Show” award. A minimum of 10 entries are required in each category in order for $1,000 to be awarded in that category. If 5-9 entries are received then $500 in prize money will be awarded. If 4 or fewer artists are entered in a category then the prize money given will be at the discretion of the Art & Soul Organizing Committee.
Art & Soul is open to any artist with any type of artwork. Eligibility will be confirmed after receipt of entry fee and obtaining a Sponsor and Venue (for more information on obtaining a Sponsor and Venue, see FAQ section).
Sponsors and Venues need to be registered by February 28, 2018 and need to select their artist by March 2, 2018. Registration for Sponsors and Venues will not be accepted after February 28, 2018. Each artist entry will be posted on this web page; Sponsors and Venues will review entries and select their artist.
Artists need not be present during the show, but are encouraged. Artists and venues work out logistics of getting artwork received and installed by April 9, 2018
Where will the money come from?
Artist Entry Fee: $25 – $80
Sponsors $100 – $175
Venue (location) $125 – $275
Financial Supports include:
Patrons who offer gifts of $1,000.00 or more;
Contributors who offer gifts of $100.00- $999.00;
Friends of the Arts offer gifts of any size under $100.00.
For more information, contact the Magic Valley Arts Council at 208-734-ARTS (2787).
Magic Valley Arts Council, Twin Falls Center for the Arts, 195 River Vista Place, Twin Falls, ID.
Art & Soul of the Magic Valley is excited to offer $1,200 in cash prizes to six Youth Competition winners. Students in grades K-12 are invited to enter! Click Youth Category Application 2017 web for the application.